Action Plan for Board of Directors
This worksheet was created by The Denver Foundation's Inclusiveness Project (http://www.nonprofitinclusiveness.org/) to support organizations doing inclusiveness work.
Using the following outline, record the problem statement, goals, etc., as well as the steps that you will take to accomplish your goals. Remember that every organization usually has its own way of defining goals and objectives. The outline below can be tailored to match your organization's usual planning process.
(1) What is the primary problem you want to address in regards to your board of directors?
(2) What is/are your desired goal(s)? (If one of your goals is to increase the diversity of your board, decide whether or not to set numeric goals regarding board diversity now.)
(3) For each goal, what is/are your desired outcome(s)?
(4) For each goal, what are the primary objectives you hope to accomplish?
(5) For each objective, what tasks will you complete to accomplish the objective?
(6) Who will be responsible for completing each task?
(7) When will the objectives and tasks be completed?
(8) What resources, financial and otherwise, are necessary for achieving each goal?
Name of Organization __________________________________________
Date Exercise Completed _________
- Step 1: Creating Structure
- Step 2: Consultants/Training
- Step 3: Making the Case
- Step 4: Gathering Info
- Step 5: Creating a Blueprint
- What is a Blueprint?
- Using Your Data
- Mission and Values
- Board of Directors
- Organizational Culture
- Marketing and Community Relations
- Programs and Constituents
- Fundraising and Membership
- Writing Your Blueprint
- Finalizing Your Blueprint
- Approving Your Blueprint
- Step 6: Implementing the Blueprint
- Sample Documents
- Next Steps for Your Organization